LEPRECHAUN CANYON

DECEMBER 2012

LEPRECHAUN CANYON

LEPRECHAUN CANYON

TUNNEL SLOT NEAR BELFAST BOULEVARD

TUNNEL SLOT JUST BEFORE BELFAST BOULEVARD

NARROWS NEAR BELFAST BOULEVARD

BELFAST BOULEVARD

ICE IN LEPRECHAUN CANYON

NARROWS NEAR THE BEGINNING

The Leprechaun Canyon area includes a series of very narrow slots popular with canyoneers. However, as I don't enjoy hiking slot canyons I have the possibility of getting stuck in, I just walked up the main canyon until I hit Belfast Boulevard and it got too tight for liking. The first mile or so of the canyon is really cool and includes a tunnel slot. It's definitely worth a stop if you're traveling the 95 between Hanksville and Hite. 

There is a parking area located just east of the entrance to Leprechaun Canyon on the north side of the 95. It's referred to as the Sandthrax Campground, though there are no facilities of any kind. I stayed here once in July while passing through the area (unaware of the existence of Leprechaun Canyon) and was overwhelmed by some large, swarming, flying insects. As this was the only time I've ever had a problem with insects in this region of southern Utah, I'm assuming it was just a freak, once-a-year swarm.