KANE GULCH

DECEMBER 2012

TURKEY PEN RUINS

JUNCTION RUINS

JUNCTION RUINS

GRAND GULCH

KANE GULCH

ICE HOODOOS ALONG THE TRAIL

KANE GULCH

LARGE ICICLE IN KANE GULCH

The trek down Kane Gulch to the Junction and Turkey Pen Ruins is a nine-mile round hike. The trail begins directly across the street from the Kane Gulch Ranger Station along the 261. This can be a popular trail during the spring and fall for those doing the Kane Gulch-Grand Gulch-Bullet Canyon loop hike. As I prefer some solitude on my hikes, I decided to hike it during a December trip to Bears Ears. If hiking this trail in winter, you will need to check the weather before you go. The trailhead is approximately 6,500' above sea level on a very lightly traveled road, so it is possible for the road to be inaccessible due to snow. 

Because I was hiking in December, I ended up having the entire area to myself, aside from one backpacker who was exiting the gulch just as I was beginning. Backpacking this area in winter would be pretty rough, due to the cold and approximately twelve or so hours of darkness you would have during the night. Better to just grab a cheap hotel in Blanding.  

I remember hiking on some snow and ice, but overall the trail was pretty clear. Keep your eyes peeled for ruins located high on the canyon walls on your way down. Once you reach Grand Gulch you will see the Junction Ruins on the wall in front of you, and just a bit further down the canyon you will come to the Turkey Pen Ruins on your right. There is also another ruin a little past the Turkey Pen Ruins on your right.