FISH & OWL CANYONS

JULY 2017

NEVILLS ARCH

OWL CANYON

RUIN NEAR THE BEGINNING OF OWL CANYON

OWL CANYON

SPRING IN OWL CANYON

DWELLING IN FISH CANYON

DWELLINGS IN FISH CANYON

BEAVER POND IN FISH CANYON

Fish & Owl Canyon is a classic 17-mile loop hike through Bears Ears National Monument. To get to it you will drive to the end of a long dirt road coming east off of the 261. The dirt road is well-maintained, and I had no trouble driving it in a Corolla. At the end of the road there is a parking area, and even a nice outhouse. It must get pretty crowded in the Spring and Fall. While hiking it in July I only saw one other group of hikers. If you do hike it in the summer be sure to bring a lot of water and a purifier. There are surprisingly several springs located throughout the hike where you can fill your water bottles up. Though definitely use a purifier as the water is a little murky. 

While most people prefer to backpack this hike, I decided to do it all in one day since I was there during a time of year with lots of daylight. I chose to start down Owl Canyon and to return up Fish Canyon, but either route will work. Not long after starting your descent into Owl Canyon you will pass a cool ruin with three structures. It is then a long walk to Nevills Arch. My trail guide showed another ruin between the first ruin and Nevills Arch that I was unable to find. There are no signs leading to the ruins, so bring a good map and keep your eyes peeled. A little past Nevills Arch, you will come to Fish Canyon on your left. 

If you are backpacking, you can go down Fish Canyon a mile or two to another ruin. I decided to skip this ruin as I had a long-enough hike ahead of me. Not too far up Fish Canyon there was another set of ruins showing on my map that I was unable to find. The ruins in these canyons are not easy to find. However, a little further up I was able to find a couple well-preserved dwellings not showing on my map. One down-side to day-hiking these canyons, is that you don't have as much time to search for the ruins as you would if you were backpacking. If I had know the ruins would be so difficult to find, I think I would have rather backpacked it. 

Eventually you will come to the exit trail from Fish Canyon just past a beaver pond. This is very steep trail climbing up the canyon wall that can be hard to follow. I lost the trail near the top and had a difficult time getting out. The very top of the canyon is a steep rock wall that took me a while to figure out how to get over. I ended up making a pretty scary climb up a crevice that required all my rock-climbing skills. From what I've read there is an easier way out if you can follow the trail. All in all this was a nice hike, but I do regret missing several of the ruins. I may have to try it again some time.